Tony Sinanis is the Lead Learner of a 2012 National Blue Ribbon School, received the 2013 Bammy Award for Elementary School Principal of the Year, and was also recently nominated for New York State Elementary School Principal of the Year. Tony is active on Twitter and moderates #NYedchat and #PTChat, as well as co-hosts the BrandED podcast.
- Educational Technology
Principal Professional Development: The expectation of being an effective transformational instructional leader, along with the need to seek out current and relevant professional development opportunities, have led us in a new direction: to social media and the thousands of other educators using that platform to connect, share, learn and grow. Since information on educators using social media for learning and professional development is limited because it is relatively unchartered territory, we will be offering a guide about what systems need to be put in place to begin supporting the professional development of principals using social media platforms.
- Utilize RSS feeds through multiple sources
- Develop Twitter Lists for easy content knowledge
- Develop a plan for learning that eliminates the "add on" mentality of learning.
- Grow your network of learners in your building to promote continuous learning
Branding Your School: The idea of branding our schools and telling our story is something we must embrace as a priority! By using social media, blogs, and other tools, participants will discover how to “flatten the walls” of their schools for the purposes of telling their story and strengthening their home/school connection.
- Process to develop a space (class, school, district) identity
- Implementation of 2 key tools to help tell the story of your school
- Community engagement through the use of hashtags to crowd source the great things happening in the district
- Develop a process to ensure the same message is being developed and pushed to stakeholders