The need for powerful professional learning to enable Multilingual Learners reach their full potential is more profound than ever. MLL shadowing is a way to create urgency around the instructional and academic needs of Multilingual Learners. The MLL Shadowing protocol is used to collect data on MLL’s opportunities for speaking and listening--the building blocks for reading and writing--in our classrooms.
Updated after 10 years of research and practice, the second edition of this bestselling resource includes an overview on the importance of oral language development, information on preparing the shadowing experience, the complete shadowing protocol, a guide for analyzing the shadowing experience and key oral language development strategies. The new edition also adds improved data collection for oral language expression, as well as highlights updated research and classroom practice concerning new policies and programs implemented across the country. A comprehensive guide to ELL shadowing is presented alongside:
- Detailed case studies showing real-world examples
- Guidelines for analyzing and reflecting on the shadowing experience
- Guidelines for shadowing in a virtual environment
- Guidelines for shadowing in a multilingual environment
- An assets-based orientation to student learning and the use of achievement data to improve ELL education
This book provides an entry point for broader, systemic improvement that will serve ELLs in more varied instructional settings, including monolingual and bilingual programs.