James Robert Burke
Still in the classroom, Jim Burke is an author who needs no introduction to anyone in the field of secondary ELA instruction. In addition to his many ground-breaking books and awards, he is now the chief ELA advisor for the College Board.
Areas of expertise
- Academic Essentials (Reading, Writing, Speaking/Listening, Taking Notes, Thinking)
- Implementing Common Core State Standards
- Reading and Writing About Arguments
- Critical Thinking Using a Variety of Tools and Techniques
- Teaching by Design: Questions, Prompts, Assignments, and Units That Engage Students
- The Common Core Companion, Grades 6-8 and 9-12: As clear as the CCSS are, teachers are on their own when it comes to what to teach and how to teach it. This seminar will help participants understand what the literacy standards mean and what they look like in day-to-day practice across English language arts, social studies, science, and technical subjects.