Don't Suspend Me!
An Alternative Discipline Toolkit
- Jessica Djabrayan Hannigan - Educational Consultant
- John E. Hannigan - Educational Consultant
Shift from traditional to alternative discipline that really works
As educators face ever-changing discipline laws and regulations coupled with a return to in-person learning, the second edition of Don’t Suspend Me! arrives at the perfect time to guide them in everything they need to know to avoid reverting to traditional, exclusionary discipline practices.
This user-friendly guidebook helps teachers and administrators use alternative discipline methods to create positive, meaningful, and long-term behavior shifts for students. Inside you’ll find
- An updated alternative discipline toolkit with additional easy-to-use tools, templates, and processes
- Methods for addressing traditional beliefs and pushback from stakeholders
- Recommendations for bringing policy to practice
- Case studies, examples, and lessons learned from educators in the field who successfully used the first edition
- Examples of the 13 most suspendable offenses and the appropriate responses and interventions to help change student behavior for the long term
Organized to help educators implement alternative discipline, this updated edition frames discipline in a practical and effective way that aligns with research, changes in educational law, and—above all else—equity in school discipline.
Alternative Discipline was always SEL
"As students returned to in-person instruction, their behavioral needs have intensified; the impact of trauma from the pandemic on students and teachers, as well as the increase in educator burnout, has resulted in some schools reverting back to traditional, exclusionary practices..."
Webinar: Don't Suspend Me!
In this webinar, Jessica and John Hannigan will discuss their Don't Suspend Me! Alternative Discipline Framework for designing effective discipline using restorative, reflective, and instructional methods of supports and share lessons learned and new tips for implementation since the publication of the bestselling first edition of Don't Suspend Me!
Chapter 1: Building a Case for Alternative Discipline
In this excerpt from the 2nd edition of Don't Suspend Me!, authors Jessica and John Hannigan make a case for the use of alternative discipline, including relevant statistics and helpful visuals.
Sample Materials & Chapters
Chapter 1. Building a Case for Alternative Discipline
Chapter 2. Discipline Belief Self-Inventory