Introduction: How Can I Teach Writing If I'm Not a Writing Teacher?
1. How Writing Increases Understanding
Debunking Myths and Misconceptions
Five Research-Based "Truths" About Writing
Developing Effective Writing Questions and Prompts
Some Thoughts on Taking Notes
2. Developing Narrative Writing Assignments
What Is Narrative Writing?
Types of Narrative Writing
Using Narrative Writing to Build Content Vocabulary
Sample Narrataive Writing Questions and Prompts
3. Developing Descriptive Writing Assignments
What Is Descriptive Writing?
Using Descriptive Writing
Sample Descriptive Writing Questions and Prompts
4. Developing Expository Writing Assignments
What Is Expository Writing?
Writing Prompts That Require Cause-and-Effect Reasoning
Sample Expository Writing Questions and Prompts
5. Developing Persuasive Writing Assignments
What Is Persuasive Writing?
Persuasion and the Basics of Logic
Sample Persuasive Writing Questions and Prompts
6. Developing Argumentative Writing Assignments
What Is Argumentative Writing?
Using Argumentative Writing
Follow-Up Sharing and Discussion
Sample Argumentative Writing Questions and Prompts
7. Using Dialogues About Writing to Build Meaning
A Basis in Socratic Questioning
Developing and Using Class Dialogues
Developing and Using Student Dialogues
8. Internet-Writing Connections and Resources
Using E-Speak to Encourage Writing
Online Resources Can Help Students and Teachers
9. Frequently Asked Questions About Writing
10. Print Resources