Geared toward aspiring and new school administrators, this Second Edition offers a collection of the essential unspoken and unwritten rules of school administration. Jane Sigford offers useful strategies for maintaining perspective, managing and leading like a successful systems thinker, transforming school culture into a climate of trust and compassion, and, ultimately, responding to all levels of accountability faced in schools today. Filled with real-life examples, vignettes, exercises, and strategies, every prospective and new administrator will appreciate this fresh approach to handling the myriad challenges that school leaders encounter on the job.
About the Author
1. Why Is It So Chilly in the Teacher's Lounge?
2. Change Isn't a Flowchart: It's Broccoli
3. Positions, Like Shoes, Need to Fit
4. Learning the New Rules of Communication
5. Maintaining Control of Time
6. Developing Your Emotional Teflon
7. Maybe You Should Wear a Striped Shirt: Refereeing Conflict
8. Everything You Didn't Know About Adult Learners
9. Looking Into the Mirror of Humor
10. Power Is Like Love - The More You Give Away, the More You Have
11. Leading in the Age of Accountability
12. Becoming a Self-Assured Administrator