List of Figures
About the Author
Introduction: What Is Your Current Wayside Teaching Profile?
Graphic View of Your Current Wayside Teaching Profile
1. What Is Wayside Teaching, and Why Does It Matter?
What Is Wayside Teaching?
Why Does Wayside Teaching Matter?
2. 12 Components of Wayside Teaching: Attitudes, Approaches, and Actions
Component 1: Know Your Students
Component 2: Practice Little Gestures That Matter
Component 3: Reveal Your Personal Self
Component 4: Create and Maintain an Inviting Classroom
Component 5: Promote a Culture of Acceptance and Compassion
Component 6: Help Students Find Their Voice
Component 7: Learn to Listen
Component 8: Speak Carefully
Component 9: Teach Skills That Help Students Become Autonomous, Not Anonymous
Component 10: Build Resiliency
Component 11: Encourage Imagination and Creativity
Component 12: Infuse Humor
3. What Does Wayside Teaching Look Like in Elementary School?
Development of Elementary Learners
Wayside Teaching Practices for Elementary Learners
4. What Does Wayside Teaching Look Like in Middle School?
Development of Young Adolescent Learners
Wayside Teaching Practices for Young Adolescent Learners
5. What Does Wayside Teaching Look Like in High School?
Development of Adolescent Learners
Wayside Teaching Practices for Adolescent Learners
6. Wayside Teaching: The Power of One
Looking Back at Theory and Practice
Goals for Wayside Teachers
Resource A: Surveys
Resource B: Annotated Book List for Promoting Acceptance and Compassion