Uncovering Student Thinking About Mathematics in the Common Core, Grades 3-5
25 Formative Assessment Probes
- Cheryl Rose Tobey - Tobey Education Group, LLC, Education Development Center, Newton, MA
- Emily R. Fagan - Education Development Center, Newton, MA
Formative Assessment | Mathematics & Numeracy | Teaching in Primary Schools
Take the guesswork out of grades 3-5 math assessment!
Expertly pinpoint and reverse your students’ common math difficulties with this must-have resource from best-selling authors Cheryl Tobey and Carolyn Arline. You’ll find 25 research-based assessment probes designed specifically for Grades 3-5 and the new Common Core Standards for Mathematics. Learn to ask the right questions to uncover just where your students get confused, and apply practical strategies to get them quickly back on track – while learning is already underway. It’s all here in this detailed and time-saving guide.
Organized by strand, the probes will enable you to:
- Quickly and objectively identify and correct students’ difficulties
- Systematically address conceptual misunderstandings and procedural mistakes-- before they become long-term problems
- Plan targeted instruction and remediation in multiplication and division, problem solving, the four operations, factorization, and beyond
- Master the essential CCSM mathematical processes and proficiencies for Grades 3-5
With the help of sample student responses, extensive Teacher Notes, reproducibles, and research-based tips and resources, you’ll quickly eliminate the guesswork and join thousands of busy teachers who’ve used these easy-to-implement probes to foster solid math proficiency!