This comprehensive resource explores the research on promoting academic success among ELLs. It provides educators with a firm basis for making decisions related to adopting or developing effective policies and programmes for ELLs.
Promoting Academic Achievement Among English Learners provides illustrative scenarios throughout to accompany research-based discussions about:
- What we know about using ELLs' home language in their academic programme and findings about bilingual education
- ELLs learning to speak English and simultaneously learning academic content, a vital aspect of their educational agenda
- School- and district-level factors that affect ELLs' achievement
- Sociocultural factors, including the influence of parents and families
- A broad framework for improving the academic achievement of students who come to school not speaking English well or not speaking English at all.