Based on the premise that early response to problems can lead to better outcomes for students, the book's content is framed around four essential areas: foundations, intervention, collaboration, and evaluation. Within these areas, this accessible guide features:
- The latest information on the science and practice of prevention
- Reasons why conflict resolution, peer mediation, and bully-proofing are essential to prevention
- Effective practices for teaching social skills to young children
- Proven techniques for implementing schoolwide positive behaviour support
- Tools for using individual behaviour plans to prevent problems
- Ideas for home-school and community partnerships and culturally responsible teaching
- Critical strategies for monitoring student progress and evaluating prevention practices
- New, updated chapters, including information on preschool behaviour support and RTI
This valuable resource provides all the tools and strategies school leaders and teachers need to keep children focused on learning.
The focus of this book is preventing behavior problems through the use of research-based approaches that address important issues, promote positive learning environments, and respond to all children's needs. The methods described include schoolwide programming, classroom-based strategies, individualized behavior plans, and communication with families and the community. All chapters are designed to help professionals address problems proactively and share the responsibility for providing the best possible learning opportunities for all students, especially for those students with emotional and behavioral problems. Like the first edition, the book is a collaborative work reflecting varied knowledge, expertise, and perspectives.
The second edition has been reorganized and restructured to include new chapters and eliminate old ones. The authors address current topics such as culturally diverse learners, RTI, and IDEIA. In addition, they discuss new research findings relevant to the topics covered throughout the book. Boxed vignettes titled an "An Illustration from Practice", included at the end of many chapters, demonstrate how the strategies have been implemented effectively in various situations.
New material expands the coverage of circumstances influencing behavior and the sphere of issues addressed. For example, the authors added strategies for promoting positive behavior as early as preschool, and addressed approaches for working with culturally and linguistically diverse students. The authors also added a concluding chapter summarizing the material and highlighting the connection between behavior and achievement.