"A must read for practitioners of educational leadership and students alike! Offers powerful strategies, recommendations, and resources to successfully lead school reform. The checklists are invaluable tools to bring about the cultural shift needed to focus all stakeholders on teaching and learning."
—Roy F. Davenport, Principal, Alfred E. Beach High School, Savannah, GA
Urban principals face unique challenges that deserve unique solutions.
How can urban principals meet the challenge of educating students in environments that routinely include poverty, violence, aging infrastructure, lack of funding, cultural differences, and high levels of turnover? This accessible manual offers powerful tools and practical guidance to ensure that urban principals succeed as school leaders.
Gwendolyn J. Cooke provides tried-and-true, research-based strategies for initiating, stabilizing, and sustaining effective practices. Each chapter includes reflective thinking activities to help school leaders assess needs, and set and achieve goals. This second edition examines the challenges the current educational environment and links the ISLLC standards to seven keys of leadership:
- Control: manage the school community by building consensus
- Caring: create a school climate that invites students to learn, grow, and explore
- Change: use effective strategies to implement constructive change processes
- Charisma: cultivate your own charismatic potential
- Communication: strengthen your ability to communicate in different settings
- Curriculum: provide instructional leadership by harnessing the power of curriculum
- Courage: find the courage needed to take risks that will move your school forward
Use these proven strategies to increase your leadership capacity and effect real change in your school!