Integrating the Performing Arts in Grades K–5
- Rekha S. Rajan - Independent Scholar, USA
Teaching Methods & Learning Styles | Teaching in Primary Schools
Enhance the learning experience by integrating the performing arts
Research documents that the arts boost learning, build confidence, and motivate students to participate in class. How do we keep the performing arts alive in this era of increased accountability and decreased funding? Rekha S. Rajan sets the stage for a creative and practical solution with detailed, concrete examples of how to integrate the performing arts into math, science, social studies, and language arts. Key features include:
- Step-by-step examples of how to include the performing arts in all aspects of the curriculum
- Ways to impact students' learning in the cognitive, social, and artistic domains
- Activities that can be implemented immediately and easily
- Detailed lesson plans connected to the National Standards for Arts Education, National Standards for Early Childhood and Elementary Education, and Common Core Standards for Math and Language Arts
Students in grades K-5 need creative venues that encourage self-confidence, self-expression, and collaboration. The performing arts provide opportunities to build personal and social skills that are an integral component of learning and development. This accessible resource provides all teachers with the tools to integrate the performing arts throughout their curriculum.
"The author provides a theoretically sound and standards-based approach to incorporating performing arts into every aspect of curriculum for all ages. Teachers will be able to immediately implement new and engaging activities into all learning domains."
"This book is a practical guide for those interested in integrating the performing arts into the early childhood classroom. It is also a great resource for those working in performing arts camps and community theater programs."
"Students need to be well rounded. This is a great book to help students develop creativity, self-esteem and metacognition. It also helps students make meaningful connections to all areas of the curriculum. A motivated student will be eager to learn."
Sample Materials & Chapters
Chapter 7: Building Artistic Connections