The PBIS Tier One Handbook
A Practical Approach to Implementing the Champion Model
- Jessica Djabrayan Hannigan - Educational Consultant
- Linda Hauser - California State University, Fresno, USA
Behaviour Intervention | Schoolwide Interventions for SEN & Behaviour | Student Support Services
Harness the proactive power of PBIS to improve student behavior
More punishment won’t improve student behavior. Now, there’s a better way: The Positive Behavior Interventions and Supports (PBIS) Champion Model. Through this breakthrough alternative, schools have reduced disciplinary incidences by 50% or more by implementing proactive, school-wide prevention practices.
This research-based, action-oriented framework written by leading experts in PBIS implementation, will show you how to create a school culture where all students achieve both social and academic success. You’ll find:
- A convincing case for why teaching appropriate behavior, rather than punishing inappropriate behavior, is more effective for creating an environment conducive to learning
- A step-by-step framework for implementing a comprehensive systems approach, with specific actions to develop, monitor, and sustain each level of the system
- Success stories from teachers and administrators who have implemented the PBIS Champion Model
- Self-assessment exercises to ensure PBIS implementation starts on the right track and stays there
Through this approach, you’ll have the tools to create a school environment that accelerates learning and has a positive impact on the emotional, social, academic, and physical well-being of every child.
"This concisely-crafted book provides schools a systematic and doable framework for a comprehensive approach to building school climate, recognizing positive and appropriate behavior, and reducing detrimental school issues."
Katy Olweiler, MA, MPA, NCC, Counselor
Lakeside School, Seattle, Washington
"Finally, we have a book that will impress readers who need to understand PBIS and become a resource on how to implement it successfully."
Roberto Pamas, Principal
O.W. Holmes Middle School, Alexandria, Virginia
"This book is an exceptional resource for schools that have a PBIS program in place, as well as for those that are ready to transform their culture and prepare students for academic and behavioral success. The PBIS structure is deconstructed with fail-proof system that truly bridges the knowledge-implementation gap. The book introduces and explains with thorough assessments, examples for implementation, actions to consider, identified red flags, and specific challenges from the field with corresponding practical solutions. Every PBIS team needs a copy of this text."
"Finally we have a book that will impress readers who need to understand PBIS and become a resource they will go to for advice on how to implement it successfully."
"This concisely-crafted book provides schools a systematic and doable program for a comprehensive approach to building school climate, recognizing positive and appropriate behavior, and reducing detrimental school issues."