"Lots of fresh ideas, along with some very helpful suggestions."
—Pamela Galvani, Teacher Central Kitsap High School, Silverdale, Washington
Praise for the New Edition:
"Useful as the first version of their book was, Marlowe and Page's second edition is even better. It offers a rare blend of thoughtful critique, solid theory, and practical strategy."
—Alfie Kohn, author of The Schools Our Children Deserve
Make constructivism work for you and your students!
Taking students from passive spoon-fed knowledge to creation and acquisition of real learning: It sounds terrific. But how do you do it? This book shows you how. In this updated and expanded second edition, Marlowe and Page use a larger and clearer format to bring together constructivist theory with step-by-step guidance to make constructivist learning a reality in your classroom.
Creating and Sustaining the Constructivist Classroom, Second Edition includes the firsthand experiences of practicing teachers to help you understand the challenges and rewards you can expect from constructivism. The teachers' stories along with guidance from the authors give you a solid foundation on which to build your own student-created learning classroom.
The authors provide:
- Active learning examples to customize for any grade or classroom
- Checklists to help you evaluate your starting point, progress, and goals
- Expanded coverage of state and national content standards
- Practical assistance with issues surrounding student assessment, differentiation, and the inclusive classroom
- Ideas for involving parents and community members
- Ways to implement technology into the mix
- Strategies to help even beginning teachers implement constructivist principles