Help your students unlock important mathematical concepts!
If you’ve ever watched a student struggle with learning math concepts, you know that academic English can sometimes create stumbling blocks to understanding. To grasp complicated concepts, build skills, and demonstrate achievement, students need to master academic language in math.
The Common Core and ELD standards provide pathways to academic success through academic language. Using an integrated Curricular Framework, districts, schools and professional learning communities can:
- Design and implement thematic units for learning
- Draw from content and language standards to set targets for all students
- Examine standards-centered materials for academic language
- Collaborate in planning instruction and assessment within and across lessons
- Consider linguistic and cultural resources of the students
- Create differentiated content and language objectives
- Delve deeply into instructional strategies involving academic language
- Reflect on teaching and learning
Each grade-specific chapter models the types of interactions and learning experiences that help students master both math content and academic language. This essential book shows you why mastery of academic language is the key to students’ academic success.
“With growing numbers of English Language Learners in our classrooms, teachers need to be able to help students as they learn academic vocabulary and concepts. This series offers teachers a practical support, complete with abundant rubrics and detailed plans for teaching math vocabulary!”
—Renee Peoples, Teacher
Swain County Schools, Bryson City, NC