The book is intended to provide practical solutions to everyday problems that principals encounter. It is also a guideline for becoming a true leader and leading for school change. The authors organize the book around three principals of Cognitive Coaching: developing trust, learning, and holonomy. Each chapter will have a theme, research citations for further reading, and anecdotal stories about what worked in real schools. This is not a book of theory, but a book built on the lived experiences of school principals.
About the Authors
1. Communication--the Foundational Skill
2. Trusting Yourself, Trusting Others
3. Learning to Change (and Liking It)
4. Classrooms Are Not the Only Places to Learn
5. Tsunami--Riding the Wave of Change Without Drowning
6. Mediating Conflict
7. Standing Your Ground (Even in Quicksand)
8. Assessing Students, Staff, and Schools
9. Get a Life!
10. The Principal's Toolbox: Anecdotes and Hints for Survival in a Cruel, Cruel World
Resource: Some Must-Read Books for Administrators: An Annotated List
References and Further Reading