Becoming a Social Justice Educator
A Guide With Practice
- Zachary Scott Robbins
- Dominique Smith - Health Sciences High & Middle College (HSHMC)
- Sarah Ortega
- Oscar Corrigan - Health Sciences High & Middle College (HSHMC)
- Bryan Dale - Health Sciences High & Middle College (HSHMC)
Social Justice | Teaching Strategies for Diverse Students | Working with Minority Students
The curiosity-stirring, can-do handbook for building inclusive cultures
With one click we can make our camera lens switch from portrait to landscape, so why can’t we find a simple way to broaden our perspectives on equity? Because human beings are wildly complex, for one thing. But this potent guide simplifies, providing concrete techniques for becoming expansive educators capable of engaging every student. Chapter assets include:
- Compelling research to support why it’s urgent we embrace foundational fairness—and why even subtle words can have massive effects on students’ sense of potential
- Questions and prompts that help you build inclusive thinking into your expectations of students, your feedback, grading, and approaches to discipline
- Activities, discussion frames, and debate structures that support students’ exploration of complex topics
- Ideas for engaging staff, leadership, family, and the community in ways that reveal strength
Social justice work is not “other;” it’s not extra. It’s student agency work. It’s what keeps so many of us educators up at night, worried about why some of our learners aren’t engaged. With this book, they will be engaged, because they will know you believe in their abilities, and now know how to show that every day.
Deeply reflective and an absolutely essential tool for educators at all levels! This brilliant and powerfully transformative guide takes us along a journey of learning that includes a deep dive into understanding how our very own story and experiences shape our beliefs and behaviors toward social justice in education.
The authors provide the perfect balance – a guide to self-reflection and a call to action. This is the right guide for the right time. The journey to becoming a social justice educator starts now!
Becoming a Social Justice Educator is a powerful read for anyone hoping to create learning spaces in which all students feel valued and respected. The reflection questions and activities built into each chapter, lead the reader on a powerful journey of vulnerability and greater self-awareness. If schools are to be a safe, inclusive space for all students to excel and be successful, we must better understand the impact our experiences have on the system in which we work.