"Substitute teachers are courageous educators. Day in and day out, they walk into unfamiliar classrooms and willingly embrace the challenge of creating meaningful learning experiences under stressful conditions. This marvelous book—with its practical tips and valuable insights—is a must-read for these unsung heroes."
—Lynn G. Beck, Dean and Professor
University of the Pacific
"The book gives substitute teachers value, importance, and worth, something that many of them don't feel and that many school districts and teachers fail to acknowledge."
—Elizabeth Day, Sixth-Grade Teacher
Mechanicville Middle School, NY
Begin every "first day" of school with confidence!
This invaluable handbook provides clear and practical techniques to help substitute teachers walk into a new classroom, create a positive learning environment, and deliver instruction that meets established curriculum standards. An ideal resource for novice and veteran substitute teachers—and for the administrators who hire, train, and supervise them—this book includes:
- School and classroom procedures
- Eight key tips for classroom management
- "What Would You Do?" practice scenarios with multiple solutions
- Information on professional topics such as permits, pay, networking, and more
- A checklist of things to do before, during, and after class