About the Author
1. What Is Motivation and Why Does It Matter So Much?
Build Intrinsic Motivation
What Is Extrinsic Motivation?
The Difference Between Rewards and Celebrations
2. What Are the Roots of Motivation?
Understanding the Mental Processes
3. Motivation to Begin a Lesson or Task
Getting the Brain's Attention
The Role of Self-Attributes
The Role of the Self and Others
The Role of the Student's Perception of the Nature of the World
How Climate Affects Motivation
The Relationship Between Importance and Motivation
Why Is Efficacy Important to Motivation?
4. How Do We Encourage Students to Finish the Task?
Activiating the Metacognitive System
What About Minor Off-Task Behavior?
5. A Model for Developing Motivation in the Classroom
Attitudes Toward and Perceptions of the Learning
Learning States and Discipline Problems
What Ms. Walker Did to Reach Diverse Learners
6. A Model for Facilitating Motivation
A Model for Turning on the Motivation Within
Vocabulary Pretest and Posttest Answer Key